Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Featured Art

"Sentinel"

Very often when I am outside working I will glance up to find Chief, our Belgian gelding, silently observing me. There is a wisdom in the depth of his gaze; a look of gentleness and knowing, perhaps earned through a life of service and labor in younger years. His days are now spent leisurely meandering about, as here, I assume the role of resident workhorse. Affectionately known as my "big dawg", it took time for us to become friends, this toady old belgian and me. But like many a crotchety old man, he has a softer side - and he has found that underneath it all I do, too. Our daily interactions have inevitably taught us much about one another, and slowly understanding has turned to acceptance, caring and most of all, the friendship we now share.

At nearly twenty-nine, Chief's aged body struggles at times, and there have been some rough days these past few weeks. Days when his old legs do not have strength to support his massive frame and we sit quietly together, taking comfort in the presence of one another. Days of watching and waiting for him to tell me he is ready to journey elsewhere, secretly hoping that he will instead just drift quietly away in his slumber, as I thought he had the first morning I came to know that he'd be leaving us before long. Peaceful. And without suffering.

I am thankful for each day he remains with us, knowing that he will tell me when it is time to say goodbye. Yet I am dreading that final call to the vet, or of finding him ... Every morning I am greeted by his gentle nicker is the sound of another precious day. I will take them as they come, and rejoice in their number ~ as I am not quite ready yet, either, dear friend.

Sales from this work currently go toward Chief's care. In the future, a portion of the continued sale of this work will be donated in his honor to support other aged draft horses. If you know of a worthy organization, please contact me.

Open edition unstretched canvas print, lustre finish. Image size: 12" x 18", $175.00. To purchase, click here.

Brush Stroke finish, Gallery and Museum Wrap also available.

Fuji Crystal Archive print, size 10" x 15", $50.00. To purchase, click here.

Gallery Mount, size 12" x 18", $185.00. To purchase, click here.

Additional sizes and papers on request.

Image also available as a 12 x 18 poster, small magnet, and single or boxed notecard.

No comments: