Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Chief

It is with great sadness that we said goodbye to Chief yesterday. I am grateful for the time he was with us, and that he went quietly in the end; though I'm not sure knowing that it would be soon was of any solace when the time came, just relief.

The day is grey and quiet, reflecting the mood on the farm, as if it knows we mourn. Manny and Choyce, Jordan and Caleb are all accutely aware of the absence and loss of their friend. There is a void in my heart this morning as big as his empty stall. How long before I will stop anticipating his greeting each morning I arrive at the barn?

Michaela and I will be planting a butterfly garden on his grave as a memorial; whenever he got out he would inevitably meander through the one by the pond - much to my dismay - completely obliterating it, as though Belgians hold some grudge against butterflies.

I am also setting up a fund that will benefit aged draft horses through sales of "Sentinel", a portrait of Chief, and September's featured art. At this time, I am not sure which organization(s) that will be. If you know of a worthy recipient, please let me know.

"Sentinel"

Open edition Fuji Crystal Archive print, 10" x 15", $50.00. To purchase, click here. Additional sizes, papers and frame options available.

Open edition unstretched canvas print, lustre finish, 12" x 18", $175.00. To purchase, click here. Brush stroke finish, Gallery and Museum Wrap also available.

12" x 18" Gallery Mount, $185.00. To purchase, click here.

12" x 18" Poster, $5.00. To purchase, click here.

Small Magnet, 2 3/8" x 3 1/4", $3.50. To purchase, click here.

Notecards w/envelopes: single card, linen paper, $3.50. box of ten cards, linen paper, $25.00.

Safe journey, big dawg. You will be missed.

No comments: