Sunday, April 25, 2010

Virginia Beach

Took a fast and furious trip to Virginia Beach with John and Amanda and friend Kristin to see Matt Tarpey and We Were Gentlemen play their final show. May sound crazy to drive all that way just to watch a band play, but as a fellow musician, John did not pass up the invitation from Matt to go down and support his friend once more. Besides, we all love a rode trip adventure, and John has never been to the ocean. I myself have never visited it stateside. And I love that my kids, now in their twenties, still love hanging out with their Mom just as much as she loves hanging out with them.

We left at 6:30 Friday morning after John got out of work. Traffic on Route 264 was at a snails pace for over fourty miles, and again further on, eating away all the good time we had made the rest of the trip. Arriving at a little after 6pm, we checked into our hotel before heading to the venue where We Were Gentlemen would be playing. Find Gil's easily, we stopped for a bite to eat before going to see the band. Matt was just a little overwhelmed by the show of support, and genuinely thankful for our efforts to be there. I am always amazed at these guys; so quiet and unassuming in person, and completely the opposite onstage. My son is no exception.

Next morning, after breakfast, we spent a few hours on the beach - collecting shells for Michaela and walking in the surf- before getting on the road again; taking a different route home through Virginia along the coast. The rain held til we got to PA, and thankfully Amanda did most of the driving from there until we reached Letchworth. I had reached my limitation, and needed a rest. We drove into Albion around 1:30 am and ironically, the first vehicle we saw had a Virginia plate.

Michaela, though upset she didn't get to go, loved all the treasures we brought back for her. She took a bunch to school to show her class. My dogs, on the other hand, still haven't forgiven me. Is there anything worse than dog guilt? *sigh*

Here's a few pics from our visit:

You can see the rest here

It was cool and grey; reminded me of home - Lake Ontario

Collecting shells for Michaela

View of the Pier

Marina pic for my Sweetie :)

No comments: